Red Velvet Cupcakes Recipe

"Cupcakes don't need to be pretty. They compensate by having a good sense of humour." 
-Max Black, 2 Broke Girls 
I love that show and that may be the reason I decided to make cupcakes. I've been wanting to try Red Velvet Cupcakes for a long time and I found many recipes. But the easiest I could find was Laura's and I had all the ingredients at home. 
As you can tell from the pictures, the cupcakes aren't pretty and looks a little distorted which explains the quoted words from my favourite character from 2 Broke Girls. I have learnt my lesson and shall use the muffin tins from now onwards no matter how lazy I am to wash them after use. Big sigh.

I have stated the recipe is stated below.



Ingredients
1 ¼ cup of all Purpose Flour
2 Tbsp of Cocoa Powder
½ tsp of Baking Powder
½ tsp of Baking Soda
¼ tsp of Salt
¼ cup / 60g of Unsalted Butter, softened at room temperature
¾ cup of Granulated sugar
¾ cup of Buttermilk
1 Egg
1 tsp of Vanilla Extract
Red food Coloring

For the frosting
2 Cups of Powdered Sugar (I used 1/4 cup less but it was still too sweet) 
4 oz /  113g of Cream Cheese, softened at room temperature
2 Tbsp / 30g of Unsalted Butter, softened at room temperature
1 Tbsp of Milk
1 tsp of Vanilla Extract


Process
1) Preheat your oven to 180 degree Celsius. Line a muffin pan with cup cake liners and set aside.

2) In a small bowl mix together the first 5 ingredients and set aside.In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together the sugar and butter, add the egg and vanilla and mix until well combined and creamy.

3) With the mixer running on low, add half of the dry ingredients and half of the buttermilk, make sure its combined and add the remaining dry ingredients and buttermilk making sure to combine everything together but not over mixing.Using a spatula mix the batter from the bottom to make sure nothing is left stuck to the side of the bowl, add enough food coloring to get the desired red color for your cupcakes.

4) Using a large ice cream scoop, scoop the batter evenly in your prepared pan and bake for 18 to 22 minutes or until when you insert a toothpick in the center it comes out clean.Let the cupcakes cool completely.

5) To make the frosting simply put all the frosting ingredients into the bowl of an electric mixer and mix until well combined and it has the consistency of a thick frosting.Frost the cupcakes either with a little spatula or using a disposable piping bag fitted with a plain large tip.

6) Let cool in the fridge for about 10 to 15 minutes to set a little before serving (if you can resist them anyway)

I have a sweet tooth and yet I found the frosting too sweet that I couldn't really taste the cream cheese. So, maybe you might want to cut down on the icing sugar according to your taste and preference. Overall, this is a really good and easy recipe once again by Laura, so try making them yourself!

Enjoy!

Post a Comment