DIY Scratch Cards


Hello everyone!

It's been a while since I've posted a DIY tutorial and there is a fun project I had been wanting to share with you. This project was part of my best friend's 21st birthday gift so I had to hold on this post for a while. Some time last year I was just scrolling through Pinterest and I came across a project where the receiver had to scratch off the cards to find out what their gift was. I thought it was a really interesting project and I wanted to put my own spin to it. 

These scratch cards are all categorised according to different emotions. For instance, if my best friend is overwhelmed with happiness she gets to scratch one of the happy cards. They contain a mixture of quotes and personal messages. I made a few different types which will be shared in another post. 

In this tutorial, I will share with you how to create this "scratch off" effect on any type of scratch cards. For this project, you would need:

Cards

There are a few printables available online for you to download and print out. If you are interested to see how mine looks like, leave a comment!


- Clear Contact Paper or Clear Tape
- Acrylic Paint
(I used gold and silver)
- Paintbrush or Sponge
- Dishwasher liquid
- Scissors

Now, let's get started!


1. Cut out some contact paper or clear tape to cover the part that needs to be scratched out.


2. Gently cover the area that you want your receiver to scratch off.


3. Mix your acrylic paint with dishwasher liquid. 
The ratio is about 2:1 (for every 2 drops of paint, you would need 1 drop of dishwasher liquid). 


Mix them gently as you do not want too much bubbles forming.


This step is optional. 
I pasted some tape over the card as I wanted the painted area to be clean and neat. I could not find paper tape in my house so I used paper tabs instead. It definitely was not as effective as a paper tape, but it did a decent job.


4. Using a paintbrush or sponge apply the paint and dishwasher mixture over the area.
I used a sponge as it was more even as compared to the paintbrushes I had on hand. Do not worry if you can still see through the words. I applied 2-3 coats to completely cover the area. 


Once you are done, leave it to dry and it will look something like this.
In the image the first card is not completely covered due to the insufficient paint and bright lighting.

This is a fun project where you can do with a group of friends or family. There are so many different occasions where you can do this. For example, Birthdays, Mothers' Day, Fathers' Day, Parties and etc. If you did try out this project, tag me in any of the social media platform because I love seeing different versions of this project.

Get creative and have fun! 

2 comments

  1. Wonderful cards and great idea i really appreciate you can you just tell me which Toner Cartridges is best to print thick cards so i will design card and print to make them scratch cards thanks for loving idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Thank you for your comment. Currently I am using a Brother laser printer and the toner models are TN-261BK for black and TN-265 for the coloured ones. Hope this helps!

      Delete